15 December 2009

kitty wu eldiablito interview

So kitty wu didnt wanna post this cuz she thought it would be weird to post it her self. so here it is.

Kitty, Kitty Wu!!! Who are you?
Written by Senyor Cullera

Judi Rafaela “Kitty Wu” Martínez, the bubbly and cute-as-a-button face of the Coolout Network will be turning 21 this coming week (we tease, but it would be wrong to reveal a lady’s age), so we decided to get to know the hija de Zacatecas a little bit more. As of late she, along with Coolout collaborator and fellow NW luminary Georgio Brown, has been focusing on a documentary film of 30 years of NW area Hip-Hop music and culture. She’s no one-trick-pony though. She can strut and chew gum at the same time; while also running things in the leadership of the 206 Zulu and Managing Accounts with Devastator Management. As told to Lo Senyor:

What was your “oh shit! Welcome to the industry” moment?
[D]riving up to Bellingham to hear Chuck D speak at the college up there and out of the blue there is a blizzard and our VJ cancels. Georgio looks at me and says, ‘You gotta do it.’ I am looking at him like he is crazy. This is Chuck D of Public Enemy, you know? I was terrified. I remember shaking my head and just repeating no when Chuck D comes over all calm and says something to the affect of ‘it's gonna be good, we'll get through it,’ and of course we did (no thanks to my great interviewing skills). I learned real quick that in this medium it is all about the eye and the edit.

How did you fall in love with Hip-Hop?
When I fell in love with Hip-Hop I had no idea it was Hip-Hop. To me it was dance music. My girlfriends and I would sneak out and drive….to this club in the U District called the Underground. Donald Glaude and Randy Schlager would be spinning things like "It Takes Two" by Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock, "I'll House You" by the Jungle Brothers and "Paid in Full" by Eric B & Rakim, that type of thing.

And Seattle Rap?
My besty Michelle had a tape that our guy Todd Krake had made. The last song on the tape was "Squaredance Rap" with that crazy voice that Mix was using on that
track. I think we must have rewound and listened to that song 10x before we got out of the car. I just remember thinking...who is THIS guy...this sounds like nothing I have ever heard in my life.

What is it like for your children to grow up with a ‘Cool Mom?’
Good question. Mi hijos have differing views on whether or not their mom is cool. My oldest child and my middle child both work with me for our all-ages programming for 206 Zulu. They have grown up immersed in a love for the culture. Now, my youngest is very much into rock. The only time I am cool to him is during Bumbershoot. This year one of his favorite groups, Modest Mouse was performing on my stage. The look on his face that day after seeing them is one of my favorite memories. One weekend a year I get
to be cool in his book, other than that I am just Mom.

If (INSERT SONG TITLE HERE) is not played at my birthday party at Nectar, my night will not be complete!!!
"Blaq Han Solo" by Khingz!!!

Kitty’s Birthday Party will be a lovely, lovely event. Please feel free to buy her favorite drink, a Champurrado, for her and enjoy the jams as everyone parties with the most talented DJs the NW has to offer.

Sunday Dec 20th FREE @ 8pm

Nectar Lounge
412 N 36th St
Seattle, WA 98103
(206) 632-2020
www.nectarlounge.com

For Coolout’s Coverage of the history of 206 Zulu, please don’t neglect yourself; visit:

http://vimeo.com/4664125 (part 1)
http://vimeo.com/4649381 (part 2)

Devastator Management Group
khingz.com & shabazzpalaces.com

No comments: